[Xorp-users] XORP and RPM Compilation

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Jul 20 11:28:26 PDT 2007

Frederic Gilloteau <Frederic.Gilloteau at alcatel.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to compile xorp-1.4 to get the associated RPM.
>
> My problems are the following :
>
> 1) If I get the xorp src rpm from http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/xorp/,
> The .spec file is not correct I think because templates/ and target/
> directories are installed under /usr/share/xorp where xorp_rtrmgr expects
> them to be in /usr/etc/templates and /usr/xrl/targets. I can pass it as an
> option with -x and -t but then it fails again because xorp expects to find
> xorp_fea in /usr/fea/xorp_fea and this is situated in /usr/bin/xorp_fea ..

Yes, the XORP rtrmgr assumes that it can find the xorp_fea binary
under ${XORP_ROOT}/fea/xorp_fea. Similarly, it assumes to find the
xorp_bgp binary under ${XORP_ROOT}/bgp/xorp_bgp, and so on.
You could overwrite the XORP root prefix by setting the XORP_ROOT
variable in shell environment, but you can't remove the "/fea/" part
in the path without editing the rtrmgr templates.
This however is too much hassle so I wouldn't recommend it.

> ==> I tried 2)
>
> 2) I got a newer spec file from
> http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/SPECS/xorp.spec which seems to
> correct the paths problem, but this spec file failed to compile due to a
> libtool problem "libtool: unrecognized option `--tag=CC'". My libtool
> version is libtool-1.5.16.multilib2-3. (I read in the README that it should
> be 1.4)
>

> My question : Is there a working spec file I could use for xorp-1.4 which
> works with the libtool-1.5 ?

It appears the problem is that the above spec executes the
autotools (libtoolize, aclocal, autoconf, automake) before running
./configure. This is not necessary just for compiling XORP, and only
./configure should be executed. The 1.4 code assumes certain
(older) versions of the autotools, and if you use newer versions you
will get the above "--tag=CC" libtool error.
FYI, the latest XORP code in CVS has been updated to use the latest
autotools, but those changes will be available in the next 1.5
release.

I am not familiar with the RPM .spec build system, but you could try
removing the following lines and see whether it fixes the problem:

%{__libtoolize}
%{__aclocal}
%{__autoconf}
%{__automake}

Though, make sure that you first remove any older leftover builds
and start with a fresh tree.

Alternatively, you could just download the vanilla xorp-1.4.tar.gz
tarball from the XORP web site, then compile and install it
yourself:

tar zxvf xorp-1.4.tar.gz
cd xorp-1.4
./configure
gmake
# Become root
gmake install

The last command will install everything in the /usr/local/xorp
directory.