[Xorp-users] How configure a multicast static route with xorp_sh ?

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue Mar 13 09:37:12 PDT 2007

> After many try of the proposed solution and some variation, routing
> doesn't work if I don't activate PIM-SM too.
> But I search to route multicast stream with only, a static routing
> beetween router 2 and 3,  IGMP beetween router 1 and 2 and IGMP
> beetween 3 and 4.

You MUST activate PIM-SM (or any other multicast routing protocol)
if you want multicast routing to work. The purpose of IGMP is to
inform PIM-SM about multicast members.
Unlike unicast, there is no such thing as static multicast routing
for a variety of reasons.
The "mrib-route" XORP configuration is about configuring
Reverse-Path Forwarding information that is used by PIM-SM.