[Xorp-users] Help! RIP Conf on xorp router wont work.

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Thu Mar 22 13:19:56 PDT 2007

[Apology for the late reply; we were occupied with the 1.4 release]

> I am trying to set up a simple test network with two xorp routers
> (Live CD, v1.3) connected using a crossover cable. The problem I am
> encountering is that the routers are not exchanging information about
> the loopbacks. So, I am unable to ping the other router's loopback. I
> am pretty sure that I have configured everything correctly, but if
> someone could point something that maybe I have missed........
>
> when i use the show command for connected routes, it shows both
> ethernet and loopbak, but when i use the show command as follows, it
> doesnt show me any RIP routes. It should have 1 rip route to the other
> router's loopback, right ?
> > show route table ipv4 unicast rip
>
> Router A :    Lo0  -   192.168.9.1  subnet /24
>                    fxp0 -   192.168.10.1  subnet  /24
> Router B :
>                    fxp0 - 192.168.10.2    subnet / 24
>                    Lo0 - 192.168.11.1    subnet /24
>
> I am configuring the routers as below :
>
> Router B :
> # Set fea unicast-forwarding4 disable : false
> # Set interfaces restore-original-config-on-shutdown : false
> # Set interfaces interface lo0 vif lo0 address 192.168.11.1 prefix-length 24
> # Set interfaces interface fxp0 vif fxp0 address 192.168.10.2 prefix-length 24
> # set protocols rip interface fxp0 vif fxp0 address 192.168.10.2
> # Set protocols rip interface lo0 vif lo0 address 192.168.11.1
> # set protocols rip export connected
> # set policy policy-statement connected term export from protocol : "connected"
> # commit
>
> configuration for router A is identical except for the ip address , of course.

I tried to replicate the problem, but I couldn't (i.e., I was able
to ping the loopback of the other router).
Note that in my tests I was using the latest XORP code (1.4
release), but not from LiveCD. Below I am including the
configuration from one of the routers.

Could you download the 1.4 LiveCD and test whether you still have
the problem.

If yes, one way to start debugging the problem is to run tcpdump on
the link connecting the two routers. If the exporting of connected
routes is fine you should see RIPv2-resp packets with both connected
subnets included. E.g.:

tcpdump -i fxp0 -n -vvv -s 0 -x proto \\udp and port 520

/************************************/
interfaces {
    interface lo0 {
	vif lo0 {