[Xorp-users] ospf4 rfc1583-compatibility option

Michael Fox michael.fox at vyatta.com
Wed May 2 11:10:08 PDT 2007

Can someone explain the specific function/behavior of the
rfc1583-compatibility option in ospf4?

I don't see it mentioned in the XORP User Manual version 1.4 dated March
20, 2007.

My understand is that this option has to do with how external routes are
handled.  But reading when I read RFC 2178 and 2328 which superseded 1583,
both RFCs indicate that their respective changes are backward compatible
and interoperable with prior versions.  So I'm left wondering what exactly
this option does.

Michael