[Xorp-users] separation of fea from rest of the XORP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Nov 2 20:35:41 PDT 2007

> Can we separate the FEA component from rest of the XORP code?

The FEA is a separately running process.

> i.e. running FEA process on one machine and rest of the XORP on another machine
> so that FEA can be started, stopped and modified independently
> without affecting the main router process.

You could run the FEA on separate machine, but not out-of-the-box
(yet). See the following email for some info on the subject:

http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-users/2007-October/002134.html

However, you can't restart the FEA while the rest of the XORP
processes are running, because it is a critical component for the
protocol modules. For example, it is on the communication (control)
path between a routing protocol and the rest of the world. If the
FEA is restarted, then each protocol practically needs to restart.
Getting around this is going to be very complicated at best, and
this is even without considering the case when the FEA is the TCP
termination point (for BGP for example).

I am wondering why do you want to restart the FEA?
Could you describe the application/setup you have in mind.