[Xorp-users] IPv6 intermittent connectivity

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Mon Nov 5 22:58:39 PST 2007

Hansi <hantongs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have configured two XORP machines connected to each other using IPv6
> addresses. IPv6 static routes configuration were successfully entered using
> the XORP CLI. Basically the network topology would look like this:
>
>                -----------------                      ------------------
>  -----------|    Router 1    |----------------|    Router 2
> |--------------
> Link1        -----------------      Link         ------------------    Link3
>
> Link1: 2001:ec1:4001:10af::1
>
> Link: 2001:ec0:4000:beef::1
>         2001:ec0:4000:beef::2
>
> Link3: 2001:ec2:4002:fa11::1

The above topology drawing was mis-alligned so please redraw it in a
simpler way and without using any tabs.

> unicast forwarding for IPv4 and IPv6 were added to the configuration. After
> adding the static routes, I was able to successfully ping Link3 from Link1.
> However, I notice that the ping responses were intermittent. Several skips
> occured in the icmp sequence count. I tried configuring static routes for
> IPv4 addresses and didn't encounter such problem. Has anyone encountered
> this issue? I'm working on an isolated environment. I would appreciate if
> anyone would be willing to lend a hand in helping me resolve this
> intermittent connectivity issue.

What OS are you running on Router 1 and Router 2?

Are you running the ping command on Router 1 or on another host
connected to Link1?
If the latter, what happens if you run ping on Router 1?

Also, what happens if you don't run XORP, but you just install the
static routes by hand?

Please send a copy of the exact ping command (incl. all
arguments) and a snapshot of the replies.