[Xorp-users] rip troubles

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue Nov 27 12:43:17 PST 2007

Robert Joseph Suk <rsuk at ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm new to xorp, and I'm trying to get a basic router up
> and running RIP, but I keep getting the following error:

What OS are you using? I guess it is FreeBSD.

Some (all?) FreeBSD versions have the questionable requirement that
you must have an entry in the unicast forwarding table that covers
the multicast address space if you want to transmit any multicast
packets. It doesn't matter what the entry is, it has to be there.

The simplest solution is to add a default 0.0.0.0/0 entry to the
kernel that points to somewhere. You could do it either by hand
before starting XORP, or as a static route inside XORP.

The alternative solution is to add by hand a 224.0.0.0/4 route
before starting XORP. E.g.:

route add 224.0.0.0/4 10.10.10.10

where 10.10.10.10 is an IP address that belongs to the same subnet
as one of your interfaces.

Hope that helps,
Pavlin