[Xorp-users] VLAN support in XORP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Mon Oct 1 11:31:59 PDT 2007

Mykola Dzham <i at levsha.org.ua> wrote:

>  Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> >
> > In term of VLAN naming, the situation is the following.
> > In FreeBSD (and I believe in other BSDs as well, but I haven't
> > double-checked it yet), the vlan name has to be "vlan%d". However,
> > the integer after "vlan" doesn't need to match the VLAN ID. E.g.,
> > vlan10 could have VLAN ID of, say, 20.
> >
> > In Linux the naming scheme can be programmed in advance using
> > ioctl(SET_VLAN_NAME_TYPE_CMD). The choices are names like:
> >  (a) vlan0005
> >  (b) eth1.0005
> >  (c) vlan5
> >  (d) eth0.5
>
> FreeBSD can use naming scheme like <interface>.<tag> :
>
> # ifconfig bfe0.10 create
> # ifconfig bfe0.10
> bfe0.10: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>         ether 00:17:a4:db:e1:78
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>         status: active
>         vlan: 10 parent interface: bfe0
> #
>
> Support of such syntax commited 3 years ago
>
> This scheme hawe some problems in FreeBSD : you cannot write in rc.conf
> line like ifconfig_bfe0.10="inet ..." - dots is not allowed in variable
> names; ng_ether cannot name ether node, attached to this interface, as
> bfe0.10 - dots is use in netgraph as delimiters in path
>
> But this scheme also has some advantages: you can create several
> interfaces with same vlan id (on different parent interfaces), syntax
> is cisco-like ;)
>
> Is it possible to implement in xorp both naming schemes: vlan%d and
> ifname.%d ?

Thank you for the info.
After a second round of changes, currently XORP allows the vlan name
to be (re)named to any string the user might like as long as the
underlying system supports that. To the best of my knowledge, vlan
renaming is supported in Linux, FreeBSD and DragonFlyBSD, but not in
NetBSD and OpenBSD.