[Xorp-users] Problem in RIP

Mayank Kandari mayank.kandari at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 23:09:47 PDT 2007

Hello ,
            I am not able to accept RIP packet on my XORP router from my
neighbour XORP router.  following is the configuration of my router

    protocols {
        rip {
            interface eth0 {
                vif eth0 {
                    address 172.16.0.8 {
                    }
                }
            }
            export: "connected"
        }
        static {
            route 192.168.0.0/24 {
                next-hop: 172.16.0.4
            }
        }
    }
    policy {
        policy-statement static {
            term export {
                from {
                    protocol: "static"
                }
            }
        }
    }
    interfaces {
        interface eth0 {
            vif eth0 {
                address 172.16.0.8 {
                    prefix-length: 16
                }
            }
        }
    }

My router is sending RIP packet but not receiving. Following is the rip
statistics of rip interface :

mayank at cmj-isea-08.cdacmumbai.in> show rip statistics eth0 eth0 172.16.0.8

* RIP on eth0 eth0 172.16.0.8

  Counter                                        Value
  --------------------------------                  ----------------
  Requests Sent                                 88
  Updates Sent                                   87
  Triggered Updates Sent                     0
  Non-RIP Updates Sent                      0
  Total Packets Received                     0
  Request Packets Received                0
  Update Packets Received                  0
  Bad Packets Received                       0
  Authentication Failures                       0
  Bad Routes Received                        0
  Non-RIP Requests Received              0

when I take the tcpdump on my network interface , I am getting the rip
packet of neighbor router .

What is the problem with my configuration ?

regards
Mayank