[Xorp-users] RIP sending route but not receiving

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Thu Oct 11 23:07:00 PDT 2007

I am not sure what exactly you want to achieve with the particular
"connected" policy you are exporting, so for a started I'd recommend
to use simpler setup. E.g.:

policy {
    policy-statement connected {
        term export {
            from {
                protocol: "connected"
            }
        }
    }
}

Also, if this is going to be a router you should enable unicast
forwarding:

fea {
    unicast-forwarding4 {
        disable: false
    }
}

See below for more recommendations for the other rouuter's
configuration.

> This is the   configuration of another router
>  protocols {
>         rip {
>             interface eth0 {
>                 vif eth0 {
>                     address 172.16.0.4 {
>                     }
>                 }
>             }
>             export: "connected"
>         }
>     }
>     policy {
>         policy-statement connected {
>             term export {
>                 from {
>                     protocol: "connected"
>                     network4: 192.168.0.0/16
>                 }
>                 to {
>                     nexthop4: 172.16.0.9..172.16.0.9
>                 }
>                 then {
>                     accept {
>                     }
>                 }
>             }
>         }
>     }
>     interfaces {
>         interface eth0 {
>             vif eth0 {
>                 address 172.16.0.4 {
>                     prefix-length: 16
>                 }
>             }
>         }
>     }
>

> On 10/12/07, Pavlin Radoslavov <pavlin at icir.org> wrote:
> >
> > Mayank Kandari <mayank.kandari at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello , this is the configuration of my router

Again, as in the previous case, you should start with simple setup
and you need to enable unicast forwarding:

fea {
    unicast-forwarding4 {
        disable: false
    }
}

policy {
    policy-statement connected {
        term export {
            from {
                protocol: "connected"
            }
        }
    }
}

Then, inside the "rip" section you should export "connected" instead
of "static".

Finally, configure just one address in the "interfaces" section.
The second address shouldn't hurt, but then again if you are
debugging a problem remove everything that is not needed.

When investingating the missing packets, please make sure you are
running tcpdump on the receiving host (i.e., the host that doesn't
receive the RIP packets).
If you still have the problem, then enable XRL tracing on the
receiving host and try to find whether the FEA received the RIP
packets and sent them to the RIP process. To enable XRL tracing you
need to set the XRLTRACE environmental variable to anything and then
start XORP. E.g.,

setenv XRLTRACE yes
xorp_rtrmgr -b rip.boot

You should be looking for XRLs like recv_event from the FEA to RIP.
If there are too many XRLs, then run "script" before starting XORP
so you can save the terminal output to a file (for later
processing).