[Xorp-users] subnet routes & xorp

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Mon Oct 15 17:05:22 PDT 2007

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:

> Does xorp do the equivalent of 'ifconfig down ethx; ifconfig up ethx' when
> you add and/or delete an interface & vif?
>
> A subnet route is disappearing from and interface that I removed
> from one xorp instance and added to another, and if it's bouncing the
> interface, that could explain why...

The "down/up" operations should happen only in certain situations
when are really needed. E.g., setting the MTU or the MAC address are
two examples that come to mind: the interface must be in DOWN state
otherwise the setting will fail.

The Linux "ip monitor" in a separate xterm will tell you whether the
"down/up" operations actually happen in your case.