[Xorp-users] New to this multcast - Can this work with xorp?

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Wed Oct 31 11:00:40 PDT 2007

> show pim neighbors :
>
> Interface    DRpriority NeighborAddr    V Mode   Holdtime Timeout
> tun0                  1 10.254.0.13     2 Sparse      105     100

OK, that's good. The problem then with the RP RPF information is
probably somewhere else.
Could you send the output of "show pim mrib" and
"show route table ipv4 multicast all".

> > > The thing now is that my linux box do not join any multicast group...
> >
> > Just to clarify: the receivers are on the eth0 subnet, but are NOT
> > running on the Linux box.
>

> Yes the recievers are on eth0 and they are cisco IP phones 7911.
>
> If you run tcpdump on the eth0 interface do you see any IGMP
> > membership messages from the receivers (in respond to the Query
> > messages from the XORP box)?
> >
> > tcpdump -i eth0 -n -vvv -s 0 -x proto \\igmp
>

> When running tcpdump I only see igmp query and report from my own box.

What kind of equipment do you have between the receivers (cisco IP
phones) and the Linux box?
It seem that either the IP phones don't receive the queries, or the
reports from them don't reach the Linux box. If you have another
UNIX box/laptop to plug around and run tcpdump then you might be
able to locate the problem. Also, of course, make sure that the IP
phones are configured properly so they will indeed reply to IGP
queries.

> > IGMP has different purpose: it is to discover directly connected
> > receivers and to tell PIM-SM about them.
> > The purpose of RIP and OSPF is to tell PIM-SM about the Reverse Path
> > Forwarding information. E.g., where to send the PIM Join messages
> > towards, say, the RP or the Sender itself.
>

> So since I have only 1 output route I guess that I dont need RIP or OSPF.

Yes, no need to run a dynamic unicast routing protocol.
If necessary, static route(s) will be sufficient.