[Xorp-users] New to this multcast - Can this work with xorp?

Daniel Paquet daniel.paquet at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 11:06:57 PDT 2007

On 10/31/07, Pavlin Radoslavov <pavlin at icir.org> wrote:

> > show pim neighbors :
> >
> > Interface    DRpriority NeighborAddr    V Mode   Holdtime Timeout
> > tun0                  1 10.254.0.13     2 Sparse      105     100
>
> OK, that's good. The problem then with the RP RPF information is
> probably somewhere else.
> Could you send the output of "show pim mrib" and
> "show route table ipv4 multicast all".

output of show pim mrib :

 DestPrefix         NextHopRouter   VifName VifIndex MetricPref Metric
0.0.0.0/0          10.254.0.13     tun0    1                 1      1
10.132.3.0/24      10.132.3.20     eth0    0                 0      0
10.254.0.0/30      0.0.0.0         tun0    1               254  65535
10.254.0.12/30     10.254.0.14     tun0    1                 0      0

output of show route table ipv4 multicast all :

The all option dont exist in the xorp version im running (1.4) so I did show
route table ipv4 multicast final :

0.0.0.0/0       [static(1)/1]
                > to 10.254.0.13 via tun0/tun0
10.132.3.0/24   [connected(0)/0]
                > via eth0/eth0
10.254.0.0/30   [fib2mrib(254)/65535]
                > to 0.0.0.0 via tun0/tun0
10.254.0.12/30  [connected(0)/0]
                > via tun0/tun0

> > > The thing now is that my linux box do not join any multicast group...
> > >
> > > Just to clarify: the receivers are on the eth0 subnet, but are NOT
> > > running on the Linux box.
> >

> > Yes the recievers are on eth0 and they are cisco IP phones 7911.
> >
> > If you run tcpdump on the eth0 interface do you see any IGMP
> > > membership messages from the receivers (in respond to the Query
> > > messages from the XORP box)?
> > >
> > > tcpdump -i eth0 -n -vvv -s 0 -x proto \\igmp
> >

> > When running tcpdump I only see igmp query and report from my own box.
>
> What kind of equipment do you have between the receivers (cisco IP
> phones) and the Linux box?
> It seem that either the IP phones don't receive the queries, or the
> reports from them don't reach the Linux box. If you have another
> UNIX box/laptop to plug around and run tcpdump then you might be
> able to locate the problem. Also, of course, make sure that the IP
> phones are configured properly so they will indeed reply to IGP
> queries.

I will have to ask for this information ill be back with it. Since this is a
remote location, I will have to ask if they can plug in another computer and
run ethereal (since I guess that they dont run linux ;) ).

Daniel Paquet