[Xorp-users] Multiple xorp instances performance improvements.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri Sep 7 11:19:39 PDT 2007

It appears that each Xorp instance effectively listens for all xorp
related packets on all interfaces.  It does filter out the packets that
are received on interfaces it is not configured for, but that is a lot
of work.

If we are talking about 10 or 100 xorp instances, then each router packet
is going to wake 10 or 100 processes (9 or 99 of which don't care),
causing serious performance penalty.

How hard would it be to make Xorp bind only to the interfaces it
cares about (for reading, at least)?  I think the write socket can
remain as it is...

If nothing else, we might could add a bpf filter to the incoming socket
so that the kernel discards the non-interesting packets and does not bother
waking the xorp processes that don't care...