[Xorp-users] Unreachable default route.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Sep 12 15:12:37 PDT 2007

Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> Tim Durack <tdurack at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On a Cisco you would configure a floating static route - that is a
>> static with a higher administrative distance than a dynamic routing
>> protocol. The static will be overridden by the dynamic, but if the
>> dynamic default goes away, the static will be installed.
>>
>> Not sure if XORP supports this (I don't think you can change admin
>> distance), so this probably doesn't help.
>
> No, unfortunately XORP doesn't support floating static routes (yet).
> The RIB itself has already XRL interface to set the admin distance
> per protocol, but this interface is not used yet, and it will set
> the admin distance for all routes for a given protocol.
>
> If modifying the admin distance for all static routes (so they are
> less preferred than, say, OSPF) is acceptable to you, the easiest
> hack is to modify rib/rib.cc (the RIB constructor) and change the
> "static" entry for _admin_distances to a value that is larger than
> the dynamic protocols (e.g., 220).

Does this still use the 'discard0' method that you suggested before?

It doesn't seem I can just make up an interface on Linux..it needs
to exist or Xorp complains.  I tried using 'eth2' on my system
instead, and now I get no errors, but I also do not see any routes
created.

I have not actually loaded the build with the patch you mentioned here, but I figured
I should at least get some sort of default route even if it is at too-high
priority...