[Xorp-users] Questions on OSPF

kristian at spritelink.net kristian at spritelink.net
Thu Sep 13 11:52:03 PDT 2007

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:51:32 -0700, Atanu Ghosh <atanu at icsi.berkeley.edu>
wrote:

>     Kristian> Hansi wrote:
>     >> Hello All,
>     >>
>     >> I'm currently learning how to configure OSPFv2 on two XORP
>     >> machines just to establish adjacency with one another. In a p2p
>     >> link type, is it still necessary to explicitly set the 'neighbor'
>     >> parameter of each machine before adjacency is established?
>     >> Furthermore, would it be possible to set the router-id to its
>     >> loopback address? instead of say.. the ip address of the
>     >> interface on which ospf will be used?
>
>     Kristian> The neighbor command is only useful if you are using a
>     Kristian> medium on which the routers cannot broadcast and thus
>     Kristian> cannot discover each other.  If you're using ethernet
>     Kristian> (which I presume from your NIC names) you do not have to
>     Kristian> use the neighbor statements. I would advice configuring
>     Kristian> the interfaces as link-type p2p as this avoids DR election
>     Kristian> and unnecessary CPU load.
>
> I am fairly sure that it is necessary to use the neighbour statements.

Are you serious?
I haven't used the XORP code in quite some time now.. but at least I
thought XORP implemented the OSPF standard. AFAIK, that includes being able
to discover neighbors and turn up adjacencies to them. Is this not the
case?
Observe that he is running an Ethernet point-to-point link, ie, it is not a
non-broadcast medium.
Or are you saying that you can't do link-type p2p without configuring
neighbours ?

  -K