[Xorp-users] How to configure simple static subnet route?

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Thu Sep 13 22:21:09 PDT 2007

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:

> Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> > Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> >

> >> I'm feeling quite lame, but I cannot figure out how to get Xorp to
> >> configure regular old subnet routes on it's interfaces.  I've been
> >> trying things like:
> >>
> >>     static {
> >>         interface-route 0.0.0.0/0 {
> >>             next-hop-interface: "my_discard"
> >>             next-hop-vif: "my_discard"
> >>         }
> >>         route 10.0.0.0/24 {
> >>             next-hop: 10.0.0.2
> >>         }
> >>
> >>         route 10.2.0.0/24 {
> >>             next-hop: 10.2.0.1
> >>         }
> >>
> >> But, only the discard default route shows up!
> >>
> >> All of the examples I can find in the user-guide seem to be wierd non-subnet
> >> routes...surely Xorp can do this?
> >>

> > Make sure that the next-hop IP address is directly connected to an
> > XORP-configured interface.
> > In your second and third example the next-hop address belongs to the
> > subnet route itself which is a bit odd.
> >
> > In any case the "show route ipv4 unicast static" xorpsh command will
> > tell you whether any static route has been sent to the RIB.
> >
> There isn't even a next-hop for a local subnet address...I just want
> something like:
>
> 172.99.2.0/24 dev rddVR17  scope link
> unreachable default
>
> (Nevermind the unreachable for now...that's a separate issue.)

So, are 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.2.0.0/24 the subnet addresses?
In that case even if the routes are sent to the RIB, they will lose
to the directly connected routes (introduced internally by RIB).
Hence, please clarify whether those two addresses are indeed the
subnet addresses and whether you see them with the "show route ipv4
unicast static" command.