[Xorp-users] adding/removing interfaces with xorp-cli

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue Sep 18 18:16:21 PDT 2007

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:

> We tried several things related to dynamically re-configuring
> xorp.
>
> First, we tried using two relatively simple config files, identical except that
> the IPs for interfaces were different.  We tried to load the new file and
> commit, but we got errors relating to interfaces.
>
> Is that supposed to work?

Yes.
I believe this is related to the second observation below, because
configuration and results in internal "delete" and "add"
operations.

> Second, we tried manually removing an IP and re-adding it.  This only
> worked if we did a commit between the remove and the add (and another
> commit at the end of the add).
>
> Are we supposed to have to commit to make this work?

It shouldn't be required.
I just tested it on Gentoo 2006.1 with 2.6.20.1 kernel and it worked
for me. For reference purpose, here is what I did:

Startup config:

    interfaces {
        interface eth1 {
            vif eth1 {
                address 10.0.0.1 {
                    prefix-length: 8
                }
            }
        }
    }

delete interfaces interface eth1 vif eth1 address 10.0.0.1
set interfaces interface eth1 vif eth1 address 10.1.0.1 prefix-length 8
commit

> Finally, we'd like to be able to add/remove interfaces through the
> CLI w/out restarting Xorp.  It seems the CLI has the proper commands,
> but does anyone know if this actually works?

Please be more specific what you mean by "add/remove" interfaces and
provide the exact CLI commands you are planning to use.