[Xorp-users] VLAN support in XORP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Wed Sep 26 10:39:14 PDT 2007

Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:

> Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> > If someone has suggestions or preferences what the configuration
> > should look like now is the time to speak.
> > The same applies for the choice of the naming scheme in Linux.
> >
> Maybe let the user use any name they want in the config file, and have xorp
> rename the interface as needed?  You can rename interfaces in Linux.

Renaming the interfaces internally by XORP is one possibility.
The reason we currently chose to keep same name inside the XORP
configuration and what you see by "ifconfig" is to make it easier to
the user in case they want to match the XORP configuration with the
system's view of the interface names. Otherwise we have to provide
somewhere a map between those names which makes things more
complicated.

> You can find all of the pertinent VLAN info in Linux with IOCTL calls
> (and coming
> soon in .23, netlink calls.)

As I mentioned in my earlier email I was looking exactly into the
VLAN-related ioctl() API, but I couldn't see any indication that you
could use that particular API to change the VLAN name.
Could you provide me with an example of how to do that.

I wasn't aware of the effort to add VLAN support to Netlink. I was
looking into the iproute source code but I didn't see any reference.
Please let us know when the Netlink support is available, and we
will try to add Netlink-based VLAN plugin at the bottom of the FEA.