[Xorp-users] VLAN support in XORP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Thu Sep 27 11:26:54 PDT 2007

> > If the system doesn't allow you to have more than one VLANs with the
> > same name (even if they have different parent interfaces), then you
> > need to manually make sure that there is only one vlan10 in your
> > configuration. E.g., on FreeBSD you cannot have configuration like:
> >
> > interfaces {
> >     interface fxp0 {
> >         vif vlan10 {
> >             vlan {
> >                 vlan-id: 10
> >             }
> >             address 10.10.10.10 {
> >                 prefix-length: 24
> >             }
> >         }
> >     }
> >     interface sk0 {
> >         vif vlan10 {
> >             vlan {
> >                 vlan-id: 10
> >             }
> >             address 10.44.44.44 {
> >                 prefix-length: 24
> >             }
> >         }
> >     }
> > }
>

> I think this makes it very difficult to use. Having to make sure that
> the interface name is unique is a typical task for a computer, not a
> human :)
> I'm seeing a configuration with hundreds of interfaces, it would be
> unbearable.

How is it different from, say, using directly the UNIX tools to
create VLANs and making sure each one will have an unique name.

> >> Can't you put this thing under the main interface,
> >> like adding "vlan-tagging" or something?
> >> I don't want another two lines of configuration
> >> per sub-interface.
> >
> > We could, but the reason I prefer to have an explicit "vlan {}"
> > block is for clarity. E.g., if we keep the above model, then in the
> > future all VLAN-specific parameters will go to that block rather
> > than cluttering everything together inside the generic "vif {}"
> > block.
>
> I see your point.
> I'm just fond of "vlan-tagging" directly under vif since that is how
> Junipers work.
> In the future I see adding support for inner and outer vlans (ie, QinQ),
> VLAN rewriting and stuff. I'm not sure how much we should plan for now.
> A simple way would be to simply duplicate Junipers effort, I can imagine
> they already put some thought into it and a lot of people are used to
> how JUNOS works.

I see.
I am not strongly opposed against moving the stuff from the
"vlan {}" block to its parent "vif {}" block, so lets wait and see
if there are other alternative proposals.
After that we can decide whether we should do the change.