[Xorp-users] xorp_rib SEGV when removing interface while using OSPF.

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Thu Sep 27 14:14:48 PDT 2007

[Note: I left this email in my inbox for more careful thoughts until
I finish the VLAN stuff, so I just had the chance to look into it].

> > Without looking into all details, I think your intuition is right.
> > Could you open a Bugzilla entry for the issue and include
> > instuctions how to reproduce the issue. Without such instructions it
> > will be much more difficult to track and fix the issue.
>
> I started looking into this code today, and it appears quite difficult
> to properly clean up the various routing table structures that hold
> references to Vifs.
>
> What do you think about removing the _vif pointer from RouteEntry
> and just using vifname and/or ifname strings?  If we ever really need
> an vif object, can look it up then in the rib's global list?

Yes, this is one possible strategy, though I could imagine the
lookup can become a bottleneck if there are lots of routes referring
to the deleted Vif.

> Another option would be to use a reference counting scheme, but
> those usually suck to code & debug, especially when templates
> are involved...

Actually, in my email I just sent on the subject I was thinking
about the same thing.
I don't see the templates being show-stoppers. The more important
would be whether the reference couting can be done cleanly in the
right place (e.g., in the route constructor and destructor) so there
is no danger of incorrect counting.
Also, the ref_ptr mechanism used in XORP can be of big help here.