[Xorp-users] VLAN support in XORP

Mykola Dzham i at levsha.org.ua
Sun Sep 30 14:29:37 PDT 2007

 Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:

> In term of VLAN naming, the situation is the following.
> In FreeBSD (and I believe in other BSDs as well, but I haven't
> double-checked it yet), the vlan name has to be "vlan%d". However,
> the integer after "vlan" doesn't need to match the VLAN ID. E.g.,
> vlan10 could have VLAN ID of, say, 20.
>
> In Linux the naming scheme can be programmed in advance using
> ioctl(SET_VLAN_NAME_TYPE_CMD). The choices are names like:
>  (a) vlan0005
>  (b) eth1.0005
>  (c) vlan5
>  (d) eth0.5

FreeBSD can use naming scheme like <interface>.<tag> :

# ifconfig bfe0.10 create
# ifconfig bfe0.10
bfe0.10: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:17:a4:db:e1:78
        status: active
        vlan: 10 parent interface: bfe0
#

Support of such syntax commited 3 years ago

This scheme hawe some problems in FreeBSD : you cannot write in rc.conf
line like ifconfig_bfe0.10="inet ..." - dots is not allowed in variable
names; ng_ether cannot name ether node, attached to this interface, as
bfe0.10 - dots is use in netgraph as delimiters in path

But this scheme also has some advantages: you can create several
interfaces with same vlan id (on different parent interfaces), syntax
is cisco-like ;)

Is it possible to implement in xorp both naming schemes: vlan%d and
ifname.%d ?

--
Mykola Dzham, LEFT-(UANIC|RIPE)
JID: levsha at jabber.net.ua