[Xorp-users] two BSRs

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Apr 4 00:10:55 PDT 2008

Mikael Johansson <johansson500 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to configure two BSRs so that one router is BSR for some
> multicast groups and another router is BSR for different multicast
> groups.
>
> Routers are connected like this:
>
> A --- B --- C
>
> Both Router B and Router C are defined as BSR candidates, Router B for
> 225.13.0.0/24 (eth1, 10.0.0.1) and Router C for 225.12.0.0/24 (eth1,
> 10.0.0.2).
>
> I would expect to see both 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 as BSRs on Router A,
> but command "show pim bootstrap" on Router A shows only one BSR:

You need to check the following:

* Are the Bootstrap messages from C forwarded by B on the
  A-B subnet.
  For that purpose you need to use a tool like tcpdump or
  wireshark that understands the Bootstrap messages format so you
  could match the content. Note that the Bootstrap messages are
  processed hop-by-hop such that only the payload of the message is
  preserved, but the IP header is replaced (i.e., the src IP address
  won't match the BSR IP address).

* Check that the (unicast) reverse-path forwarding information in A
  points to B as the next-hop toward C.

* Check for any suspicious warning or error messages in the XORP log
  output.

Pavlin