[Xorp-users] IGMPv3 router implementations

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Aug 18 15:03:07 PDT 2008

Todd Hayton wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been investigating what router implementations exist for IGMPv3
> and came across XORP. I've browsed over the license terms for XORP but
> (since I'm not a lawyer) I just wanted some clarification - from my
> reading it sounds like XORP can be used in a commercial, closed source
> application - is this correct?

That is more or less correct, however you may wish to consult Atanu
Ghosh <atanu at xorp.org> if you have specific questions about the license.

> Also, during my searching I was suprised not to find more existing
> open-source implementations of the router side of IGMPv3 given that it
> (IGMPv3) has been out for a number of years now. Other than XORP, the
> only other one I've come across is this one:
> http://www.loria.fr/~lahmadi/igmpv3-router.html
> <http://www.loria.fr/%7Elahmadi/igmpv3-router.html>. It seems like
> most of the work has gone into implementing only the host portion of
> IGMPv3 on both Linux and FreeBSD. Are there any other open-source
> implementations of the router portion IGMPv3 out there?

I'm not aware of other open source implementations of router-side
IGMPv3, although I believe there was one old Linux snapshot of host-mode
support which was bundled with router-mode; probably the one you found;
I couldn't reach that URL.

The most widely deployed implementation is probably Microsoft Windows,
and that is not open-source to my knowledge.

thanks
BMS