[Xorp-users] 1.5 build problem

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Aug 19 15:01:03 PDT 2008

Matt Stevens <matts at redcondor.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build xorp 1.5 on OpenSuSe 10.2 x86-64 - but the build
> fails with the following:
>
> cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
> fibconfig_entry_set_netlink_socket.cc: In member function 'int
> FibConfigEntrySetNetlinkSocket::add_entry(const FteX&)':
> fibconfig_entry_set_netlink_socket.cc:275: warning: NULL used in arithmetic
> make[4]: *** [fibconfig_entry_set_netlink_socket.lo] Error 1
> make[4]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/local/src/xorp-1.5/fea/data_plane/fibconfig'
> make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xorp-1.5/fea/data_plane'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xorp-1.5/fea'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xorp-1.5'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I'm just doing a ./configure followed by a make - nothing fancy at this
> point.
>
> xorp 1.4 builds fine on the same machine.
>
> Has anyone else had issues building 1.5?

XORP can build on a number of Linux distributions and other OSs (see
BUILD_NOTES), but so far we hadn't tried it on OpenSUSE.
Anyway, I just committed a fix to CVS:

Revision  Changes                             Path
1.20      +2 -2;  commitid: e0648ab36f841a7;  xorp/fea/data_plane/fibconfig/fibconfig_entry_set_netlink_socket.cc

The fix itself is trivial so if you don't want to use the latest
code from anon. CVS,  you might want to apply that fix by hand:

http://cvsweb.xorp.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/xorp/fea/data_plane/fibconfig/fibconfig_entry_set_netlink_socket.cc.diff?r1=1.19;r2=1.20

We are using a variety of gcc compilers, so I am surprised that so
far this particular compilation error hasn't been caught by some of
them. What C/C++ compiler are you using?

I am installing OpenSUSE-11.0-64x86 in background, so hopefully
this will help us catch other similar compilation issues.
In any case please let us know if you run across some other issues.

Pavlin