[Xorp-users] Multicast problem

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Aug 20 10:22:20 PDT 2008

Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> Are you running fib2mrib?
>
> The routers along the path may need to have a route back to the
> multicast source in order for the traffic to pass the RPF checks.

I have this in my config file:

     fib2mrib {
         disable: false
     }

Is there a way to check to see if it's actually doing good things
in xorpsh?

On a more basic level, can you let me know if this is close to how
this scenario *should* work:

* kernel mcast sends the pkts to the pimreg device, which shows up on
  the mcast socket in mfea_mrouter.

* Some piece of xorp (haven't found what yet) then makes a kernel
  call to set up the MFC for this particular route.

  I'm guessing fib2mrib or similar logic must query xorp's understanding
  of the routing tables to set up the MFC correctly?

* After this, the kernel stops sending pkts to the pimreg device and instead
   sends them directly out the proper kernel interface.

I'm going to stare at the code some more now...