[Xorp-users] Issue in BGP Configuration

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Dec 2 21:50:00 PST 2008

Hi,

Thanks for this.

I'm afraid this backtrace looks quite normal on its own -- the xorp_bgp
process is sitting in the EventLoop, presumably processing inbound
traffic. If it is waiting for something, it isn't clear what it is
waiting for.

Riddhi Shah wrote:
> I had done debugging steps according to your suggestions.
> Whatever output came , i have attached logs herewith.
> I attached two following files.
>
> 1)Log.txt - Which contains logs when configuration file was runnig with
> debugging steps.
> 2)Execution_Of_ConfigurationFile - Which contains execution of configuration file

Based on the logs, it looks like you didn't continue the BGP process
after breaking into it to get the backtrace, so I am guessing that the
rest of the log entries are just collateral damage from this -- however
-- it is very similar to the original issue you reported.

When the BGP daemon gets into this state, you might want to try firing
basic XRLs at it from common.xif using the call_xrl tool to see if it's
alive.

In your original configuration you are running only BGP, FIB2MRIB, the
FEA, and the MFEA -- you are not running policy.

This is a bit of a long shot, but I still can't figure out what the real
underlying problem is there: There have been recent changes in this
area, as there were historical hacks necessary to get policy and bgp to
start in the correct order. You might want to try configuring an empty
policy {} block in the protocols {} block, and see if BGP still 'hangs'.

thanks
BMS