[Xorp-users] ospf6 on linux 2.6.26

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Dec 2 22:03:13 PST 2008

Hi,

Pascal Spring wrote:
> hello
>
> is there some special requirement to run ospf6 on linux (sysctl settings
> a.s.o)?
> i'm not able to set up a simple ospf6 config of two routers connected
> via eth, neither a connection via sit-tunnel.
> tpcdump doesn't show any multicast-packets between the neighbors, 'run
> show ospf6 neighbor' shows no neighboring routers.

I'm not aware of any special configuration needed to run XORP's OSPFv3
over IPv6, although I haven't tried it myself.

It may also be helpful if you post your XORP configuration to the list,
as well as the log contents from the router(s) affected, and possibly
also your Linux kernel configuration.

If you are using sit.ko, can you please provide full details of how you
are configuring the tunnel (presumably using iproute2 'ip' command) ?

Sometimes just doing this alone is enough to discover a typo, etc.

You may wish to double check that the appropriate multicast groups have
actually been set up and joined at driver level, by looking in /proc:
    /proc/net/igmp
    /proc/net/igmp6
    /proc/net/mcfilter
    /proc/net/mcfilter6

I've had problems with Linux in the past where the kernel didn't support
multicast socket options due to the appropriate kernel options being
missing, with non-obvious error messages.

OSPFv3 has fairly complete regression test coverage as far as I'm aware,
although obviously we can't simulate the entire host stack. If OSPFv3 is
misbehaving on Linux then obviously we need to see evidence of the
failure and the failure mode.

thanks
BMS