[Xorp-users] Qualified-Next-Hop Problem

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Feb 11 10:56:44 PST 2008

> I would like to know how the "Qualified-Next-Hop" mechanism
> works. I have a static route and in my testlab i have two Internet
> routers. When i disconnect the first router that is responsible
> for the 0.0.0.0/0 static route the "Qualified-Next-Hop" does not
> automatically switch to the alternative route (Next-Hop Gateway
> 192.168.15.12).

The next-hop information for the primary and the qualified-next-hop
should utilize different network interfaces.
If the cable for the primary next-hop is disconnected, then the
qualified-next-hop should take over.
If it doesn't work, use the "show interfaces" xorpsh command: it
should show "NO-CARRIER" for the disconnected interface.

Note that the NO-CARRIER detection might take up to 1 minute or so
for certain network interface cards.
Use the "ip monitor" for Linux or "route -n monitor" for BSD to see
when the cable disconnection event upcall is generated.