[Xorp-users] Qualified-Next-Hop Problem

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Feb 12 00:57:45 PST 2008

Florian Thiessenhusen <Florian.Thiessenhusen at admeritia.de> wrote:

> Hi Pvlin,
>
> thank for your fast help!
>
> In my case, i have only one physical NIC where the two Gateways are connected (via switch). And the same NIC is used for requests vom clients. Should i combine are Ping-Probe Cron to detect, if a Gateway is down and let the cron job reconfigure the static-route config?

With a single NIC you can't use qualified-next-hop for its intended
purpose.
In that case you might want to use something like what you
suggest above: have a periodic ping probe, and if the ping fails use
xorpsh in script mode to reconfigure the static route.