[Xorp-users] xorpsh load command

Arsi Antila bbb999 at zerodistance.fi
Wed Jan 9 09:09:16 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 06:53:27AM -0800, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> Arsi Antila <bbb999 at zerodistance.fi> wrote:
>
> > Xorpsh load command does not seem to work in all situations.
> >
> > If I start XORP with xorp1.conf shown below, and then try to load
> > xorp2.conf by using the load command in xorpsh, the following error
> > message is shown:
> >
> > [ 2008/01/09 12:05:14  WARNING xorp_policy:5327 XrlPolicyTarget +360
> > policy_base.cc handle_policy_0_1_delete_policy ] Handling method for
> > policy/0.1/delete_policy failed: XrlCmdError 102 Command failed delete_policy:
> > DependancyError from line 154 of dependancy.hh: Dependency remove: Object test
> > in use by: bgp
> > [ 2008/01/09 12:05:14  ERROR xorp_rtrmgr:5324 RTRMGR +675
> > master_conf_tree.
> > cc commit_pass2_done ] Commit failed: 102 Command failed delete_policy:
> > DependancyError from line 154 of dependancy.hh: Dependency remove: Object
> > test in use by: bgp
> > ERROR: Load failed.
> > 102 Command failed delete_policy: DependancyError from line 154 of
> > dependancy.hh: Dependency remove: Object test in use by: bgp [edit]
> >

> > If I start XORP with xorp2.conf as parameter, and then load
> > xorp1.conf by using xorpsh, it works OK.
> >
> > Is there a way to change from xorp1.conf to xorp2.conf without
> > restarting XORP? Even some kind of workaround would be OK. I am using
> > Linux, XORP 1.4.
>
> The problem is that in xorp1.conf inside the "bgp" config there
> is [export: "test"] statement. During the loading of xorp2.conf, the
> first processed configuration delta is the deletion of the policy
> statement, but from policy manager perspective it is still in use by
> BGP, hence the above error.
>
> The work-around would be to delete first [export: "test"] inside
> bgp, commit the change, and then load xorp2.conf.

Would that be a generic solution to the problem of changing from
arbitrary configuration A to configuration B at run time? If I have a
script which first deletes all policies, and then issues a load command,
is there something that would prevent it from working in all situations?
If both configurations A and B had restrictive policies, it would seem
that there would be no policy rules in use for a few seconds during the
transformation from A to B.

Regards,
Arsi