[Xorp-users] static qualified next-hop-router problem

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Sun Jan 13 21:35:32 PST 2008

Adam Greenhalgh <a.greenhalgh at cs.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Tuan,
>
> You didn't say whether you were running any routing protocols.
>
> Adam

My interpretation of Tuan's email is that the used protocol is
"static routes".

The obvious solution would be to use a dynamic protocol like RIP or
OSPF. Though, if your ISPs don't let you run any, then this is not
an option for you.

The StaticRoutes solution can't track the status of remote
gateways on its own; this is why there are dynamic protocols.

One possible work-around hack is to use an external script that
helps StaticRoutes tracking the status of the gateways.

The script will run a periodic ping to the primary gateway. If the
ping fails, then the script will use xorpsh to reconfigure XORP by
changing the next-hop address to the secondary gateway.

Hope that helps,
Pavlin