[Xorp-users] XORP versions

Mikael Johansson johansson500 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 02:17:14 PST 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 10:14 PM, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> Mikael Johansson wrote:
> > We are evaluating using XORP in a network of about 500 routers, some
> > of which would be XORP routers. There have been some concerns about
> > stability in our organization. Our internal testing has noticed that
> > XORP routing processes sometimes die in situations
> > where processor load is high. Is there something that could be done to
> > increase stability, except to make sure that routing processes get
> > enough processor time? Should we use the latest XORP release 1.4, or
> > the most recent CVS version? When is XORP-1.5 being released? We are
> > using multicasting, OSPF and BGP.
> >
> Send details on the crashes (stack-traces from gdb, etc).  Use the most
> recent cvs, it
> fixes a lot of bugs, and at least on Linux, you can run multiple xorp
> instances virtualized
> using unique routing tables.  No patches or xen like things are needed
> if you have a
> modern OS (Fedora 8, for instance).

I can send here an example of a routing process death next time when
it happens. It usually happens after a message like "timer expired" is
shown. I don't know if it is even really a crash, it looks like that
some of the routing processes decide to terminate themselves when they
don't get enough processor time.

Regards, Mikael