[Xorp-users] help please my multicasting is not working

GDS.Marshall gdsm at tgfslp.dalmany.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 06:32:49 PST 2008

On Fri, 18 January, 2008 9:15 am, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
> 2008/1/18, GDS.Marshall <gdsm at tgfslp.dalmany.co.uk>:
>> The reason for trying mtrace was the fact my multicast is not working.
>> can not view/listen to any multicast streams.  Neither do dbeacon or
>> ssmping work from a multicast point of view.
>
> If multicast is working you should be able to use ssmping to test it
> out. Maybe you could use msend/mlisten too. Those tools do work with
> Xorp.
I have tried to find msend/mlisten, I found a reference and url in a reply
Pavlin made to Swati
(http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-users/2005-April/000532.html)
however, it would appear the site (http://netweb.usc.edu/pim/pimd/) is no
longer available.  Does anyone know where else I can download it from
please?  I could not find it on freshmeat, sourceforge or google.  I have
looked in the pimd package (ubuntu/debian) but it is not there either.

>> Would anyone have any suggestions on what to check or change etc.
>> please?
>
> It looks like Xorp doesn't know who to forward traffic of unknown
> multicast groups to. Maybe you want to explicitly set the RendezVous
> Point (RP) for Xorp. Since the DR for the interrouter network is the
> Cisco router you might want to add:
>
>         static-rps {
>             rp 82.70.154.150   {
>                 group-prefix 224.0.0.0/4 {
>                 }
>             }
>         }
>
> To the pimsm4 definition.
I have done thank you.

> As for why is the Cisco router is the DR 82.70.154.144/29 I guess
> that's because it is negotiated that way. Maybe the Cisco router has a
> Multicast configuration giving it a higher weight. IIRC the RFCs say
> that on even weights the DR of a network is the multicast router with
> the lowest IP but that is not happening in yours (Xorp has the IP
> address 82.70.154.145, which is lower than 82.70.154.150).
rfc4601 has the following "a.primary_ip_address > b.primary_ip_address"

and from the cisco notes quote..
If multiple devices have the same DR priority, then the device with the
highest IP address becomes the DR.
.. endquote
I would expect the cisco to be the DR because it has the higher IP

> I suggest
> you review the multicast configuration on the Cisco router or, if none
> has been done, the system's default values for Multicast.
I have had another look, and can not see anything glaringly obvious with
the exception of
show ip pim neighbor
PIM Neighbor Table
Neighbor          Interface                Uptime/Expires    Ver   DR
Address                                                            Prio/Mode
82.70.154.145     Ethernet0                03:36:31/00:01:15 v2    1 /
0.0.0.0           Dialer1                  1w1d/now                0 / DR

I would have expected the dialer1 interface to have a neighbour of my
ISP's router.

The relevant config sections of the cisco if anyone does not mind having a
look.
ip multicast-routing
interface Ethernet0
ip address 82.70.154.150 255.255.255.248
ip pim sparse-dense-mode
ip igmp helper-address udl Dialer1
no ip mroute-cache
full-duplex
no cdp enable

interface Dialer1
ip unnumbered Ethernet0
ip mtu 1492
ip nat outside                <-- for f0 not being tested for multicast
ip pim sparse-dense-mode
encapsulation ppp

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1

Any help anyone can provide is much appreciated.

If anyone is running ssmpingd or dbeacon they do not mind me pointing at
and letting me know if I get seen, would also be appreciated.

Thank you,

Spencer