[Xorp-users] help please my multicasting is not working

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Mon Jan 21 18:27:50 PST 2008

> I have tried to find msend/mlisten, I found a reference and url in a reply
> Pavlin made to Swati
> (http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-users/2005-April/000532.html)
> however, it would appear the site (http://netweb.usc.edu/pim/pimd/) is no
> longer available.  Does anyone know where else I can download it from
> please?  I could not find it on freshmeat, sourceforge or google.  I have
> looked in the pimd package (ubuntu/debian) but it is not there either.

I was told that the netweb.usc.edu Web site is temporary down and it
might take few weeks until it is back again (due to limited human
resources).
I just uploaded a copy of the USC mtest to
http://www.icir.org/pavlin/.private/mtest.tar.gz
However, this will be removed in few days so you should download it
now.

> > It looks like Xorp doesn't know who to forward traffic of unknown
> > multicast groups to. Maybe you want to explicitly set the RendezVous
> > Point (RP) for Xorp. Since the DR for the interrouter network is the
> > Cisco router you might want to add:
> >
> >         static-rps {
> >             rp 82.70.154.150   {
> >                 group-prefix 224.0.0.0/4 {
> >                 }
> >             }
> >         }
> >
> > To the pimsm4 definition.
> I have done thank you.

I should note here that you need to double-check that the RP used by
the Cisco router is actually 82.70.154.150. If it is different, then
use the actual address in the above XORP configuration.

> > As for why is the Cisco router is the DR 82.70.154.144/29 I guess
> > that's because it is negotiated that way. Maybe the Cisco router has a
> > Multicast configuration giving it a higher weight. IIRC the RFCs say
> > that on even weights the DR of a network is the multicast router with
> > the lowest IP but that is not happening in yours (Xorp has the IP
> > address 82.70.154.145, which is lower than 82.70.154.150).
> rfc4601 has the following "a.primary_ip_address > b.primary_ip_address"
>
> and from the cisco notes quote..
> If multiple devices have the same DR priority, then the device with the
> highest IP address becomes the DR.
> .. endquote
> I would expect the cisco to be the DR because it has the higher IP
>
> > I suggest
> > you review the multicast configuration on the Cisco router or, if none
> > has been done, the system's default values for Multicast.
> I have had another look, and can not see anything glaringly obvious with
> the exception of
> show ip pim neighbor
> PIM Neighbor Table
> Neighbor          Interface                Uptime/Expires    Ver   DR
> Address                                                            Prio/Mode
> 82.70.154.145     Ethernet0                03:36:31/00:01:15 v2    1 /
> 0.0.0.0           Dialer1                  1w1d/now                0 / DR

I am not familiar with Cisco output, but to me it looks like that in
the above output the IP address of the XORP router (82.70.154.145)
is NOT marked as DR.

Also, according to your original email on the subject, from XORP's
"show pim interface" output it looks like that Cisco's IP address
(82.70.154.150) is the DR (as expected):

xorpsh> show pim interface
Interface    State    Mode   V PIMstate Priority DRaddr          Neighbors
eth0         UP       Sparse 2 DR              1 192.168.4.3             0
eth1         UP       Sparse 2 NotDR           1 82.70.154.150           1
register_vif UP       Sparse 2 DR              1 192.168.4.3             0

> I would have expected the dialer1 interface to have a neighbour of my
> ISP's router.
>
> The relevant config sections of the cisco if anyone does not mind having a
> look.
> ip multicast-routing
> interface Ethernet0
> ip address 82.70.154.150 255.255.255.248
> ip pim sparse-dense-mode
> ip igmp helper-address udl Dialer1
> no ip mroute-cache
> full-duplex
> no cdp enable
>
> interface Dialer1
> ip unnumbered Ethernet0
> ip mtu 1492
> ip nat outside                <-- for f0 not being tested for multicast
> ip pim sparse-dense-mode
> encapsulation ppp
>
> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1

Sorry, I am not familiar with Cisco setup so I can't help you with
with its configuration.