[Xorp-users] help with a different multicast tack

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue Jan 22 13:12:19 PST 2008

GDS.Marshall <gdsm at tgfslp.dalmany.co.uk> wrote:

> As I am unable to get multicasting working from my public IP address, I am
> going to try nat on the router which I understand from else where does
> work.
>
> What I would like to know is how do I tell xorp
> yes, you have interface eth1:0 172.16.1.3, eth1:1 192.168.1.3 but, only
> 172.16.1.3 is used for multicast.  I tried telling it the interface
> parameters, but lost the alias in the process.

Those eth1:0 and eth1:1 are not real interfaces, but IP address
aliases for the same interface.

If you want to use only a specific single IP address on an interface
(or a subset of all IP addresses), then you need to explicitly
configure the address information in the "interfaces" section. E.g.:

interfaces {
    interface eth1 {
        vif eth1 {
            address 172.16.1.3 {
                prefix-length: 16
            }
        }
    }
}

Then just configure interface/vif eth1 in the mfea4, igmp and pimsm4
sections. E.g.:

plumbing {
    mfea4 {
        interface eth1 {