[Xorp-users] Static joins

Bruce M. Simpson bms at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jul 2 10:49:22 PDT 2008

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I have an application than generates a tunN interface.
> XORP has this tunN interface as one of its PIM-SM/IGMP interfaces.
> Now, I need to find the easiest way to get XORP to output multicast
> traffic over this interface.
> One option is for my application to create and send IGMP messages
> towards the tunN interface.
> I was hoping that there might be a XRL interface directly into XORP
> that would simulate the IGMPs being received on the tunN interface by
> XORP so that I would not have to reimplement IGMP in my application.

Actually, doing IGMP yourself isn't too bad -- see pcs.sourgeforge.net
for a Python toolkit with IGMP support which I co-authored with George
Neville-Neill.

I haven't published the baseline regression tests which I did using this
stuff yet, ping me if you want to see those.

Of course, another way is to add IGMP-like hooks which you describe.
    In the case of tunX, it sounds like you're using some kind of VPN or
other encapsulation. Are you? And if so, is the problem the fact that
these interfaces are dynamically allocated and added to the system?

cheers
BMS