[Xorp-users] Supported hardware

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Jul 7 07:37:21 PDT 2008

Morten Pedersen wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I am new to XORP and have a few questions.
>
> 1. Will XORP support 10 gigabit ethernet interfaces and 10 gigabit LX connections, or is this restricted to the underlying OS?

The ixgb driver is going to be in the upcoming LiveCD, which will be
based on FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE. Requests for specific drivers to be
included would be useful to have on the table now.

There will be no special treatment of 10GBE interfaces in the FEA, at
least for the time being -- folk are welcome to contribute.

Of course actual driver support for such interfaces is entirely down to
the OS which is used to host XORP (XORP is not an operating system).

> 2. I am thinking about a redundant setup, with 2 x XORP BGP routers at one place, and another 2 x XORP BGP routers another place, talking OSPF between them for failover. Would this be feasible?

I'm not sure how you would plan to achieve failover beyond 1 hop with
only OSPF. There's a case for HSRP or VRRP here if any end-stations (or
non OSPF peers) are going to be on link.

cheers
BMS