[Xorp-users] Anyone using XORP in live production environment with big traffic load?

Mark Handley M.Handley at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jul 14 06:40:37 PDT 2008

My guess is that you might have trouble forwarding 50Gb/s, primarily
because you will hit memory bottlenecks.

We've not used any 10Gig cards (we didn't have access to a polling
driver for Click for these cards), but with 12 x 1Gig ports in a box,
we can saturate all 12 bi-directionally with 1024byte packets, but
with minimum sized packets we top out around 7Mpps.  This is primarily
due to memory latency issues.  I can send you a draft research paper,
if it's helpful to you.

So, the real question if you want to consider software forwarding at
these speeds on commodity hardware is what sort of traffic mix to you
need to handle?

 - Mark