[Xorp-users] Virtual IP on Router Cluster

Dirk H. Schulz dirk.schulz at kinzesberg.de
Mon Jul 14 12:44:54 PDT 2008

Hi folks,

I have setup two routers running xorp with ospf4 (connected to two upstream
routers), and everything works fine so far.

Now I want the internal interfaces to run a virtual IP address as
active/passive cluster (so that my servers behind my routers have a
clustered gateway address that automatically switches in case of a router
breakdown). I have configured this with heartbeat, and it works, too.

I am stuck at adding the virtual IP address to the xorp's ospf4 config. If
I do not add it, the servers using the virtual IP as gateway lose
connections to the outside.
But how do I add a virtual IP to the config?

I have tried simply adding it to the vif configuration. This is what I did:

	area 0.0.0.0 {
	    area-type: "normal"
	    interface bond0 {
			vif bond0 {
		    	address MAIN.IP.ADDR.ESS {
					priority: 128
					hello-interval: 10
					router-dead-interval: 40
					interface-cost: 2
					retransmit-interval: 2
					transit-delay: 1
					disable: false
		    	}
		    	address SECOND.IP.ADDR.ESS {
					priority: 128
					hello-interval: 10
					router-dead-interval: 40
					interface-cost: 2
					retransmit-interval: 2
					transit-delay: 1
					disable: false
		    	}
			}
		}
	}

This seems not to work, at least routing through the virtual gateway does
not work.

There must be something I overlook. Any hint or help is appreciated.

Dirk