[Xorp-users] Announcement: OLSR support in XORP 1.5

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Fri Jul 18 03:38:15 PDT 2008

Hi,

This is just a brief announcement to let everyone know about the OLSR
implementation which will be in the XORP 1.5 release.

CenGen, Inc. generously funded the development of an RFC 3626 Optimized
Link State Routing (OLSR) implementation over late 2007 and early 2008.

This code has been made available under the XORP license. Currently it
is in the contrib/olsr directory, is a configure-time option, and is a
fully fledged XORP routing process. Route redistribution is supported
and I understand CenGen had success with exporting into OSPF in their
testbed.

The code has some limitations, in particular, it does not currently
support the ETX link metric feature ('link quality' in olsrd), however
it could do so with some changes. Other than that, it interworks
successfully with the olsrd.org implementation.

I'd also be interested to hear from folk interested in porting features
from Joe Macker's NRL implementation of OLSR.

The regression testing is pretty thorough, though as is always the case
with building a routing protocol, it can be difficult, if not
impossible, to exercise all possible combinations of protocol state
which can result. In particular the MPR behaviour could do with 3rd
party review.

I would very much like to hear from anyone who is interested in using
XORP to build mesh network solutions with the XORP/OLSR code base
(currently we have folk from UCL doing so), so we can gauge interest in
the code going forward, and establish what lies in the future as regards
support.

many thanks
BMS