[Xorp-users] Virtual IP on Router Cluster

Dirk H. Schulz dirk.schulz at kinzesberg.de
Fri Jul 18 05:27:42 PDT 2008

Hello Pavlin,

I have setup the cluster software to use interface aliases (like eth0:0)
and configured these in xorp.conf, and now everything works as I wanted it
to do. I get the virtual IP listet in xorpsh (show interfaces), and routing
via the virtual IP works.

Thanks to all who helped!

Dirk

--On 17. Juli 2008 11:08:08 -0700 Pavlin Radoslavov
<pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

>> > You might want to rethink your setup and see whether you can achieve
>> > it with a single OSPF address.
>>
>> Okay then, would it work with alias interfaces like eth0:0? They are run
>> as  separate interfaces. I did not find any hint on how ospfv2 in XORP
>> deals  with alias interfaces.
>> Guess I have to just test it.
>
> The Linux alias interfaces like eth0:0 are not real interfaces.
> It is just how ifconfig prints the IP aliases.
> E.g., if you use "ip addr" you won't see them.
>
> You might want to try using VLANs as Ben suggested.
>
> FYI, VLANs are supported in XORP-1.5-RC, and the RELEASE_NOTES
> contains an example how to configure a VLAN using XORP (the User
> Manual is not updated yet).
> Of course, you could also configure the VLANs before starting XORP,
> and in that case you won't need the "vlan" block under the "vif"
> node.
>
> If having interfaces/vifs named eth0/vlan1 and eth0/vlan2 doesn't
> help you at the OSPF level, you could try to use XORP
> interfaces/vifs named vlan1/vlan1 and vlan2/vlan2, but in that case
> you must configure the VLANs before starting XORP.
>
> Pavlin

Dirk H. Schulz
IT Systems Service
Wiesenweg 12, 85567 Grafing