[Xorp-users] I do not have the bin directory after compiling and making xorp !

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sat Jul 19 16:33:50 PDT 2008

Hi,

abdelali wrote:
> hello
> I have a serious problem so please help me !
> I downloaded xorp with different ways ( stable 1.4 version, the latest
> from cvs, the package from ubuntu... ) I tried to install it in
> different linux distributions as Fedora core 5, 7, 8 and ubuntu 7.10
> and JeOS ubuntu.
> The problem is that I can't start the xorp_rtrmgr and the message is
> what the class xorp_main() gives and it is XrlRouter no finder? and
> now I know the origin of the problem; it's because  I don't have
> programs in xorp or more precisely I don't have the bin directory in
> /usr/local/xorp directory !!!!

I can't speak for the Ubuntu distros or others as I'm not familiar with
their packaging systems -- cvs source for xorp is another matter...

> to install the last xorp from cvs, I downloaded it and put it in the
> /usr/local directory, I passed to root account to have all permissions
> and ./configure and make (before that, I installed all the missed
> packages and headers (gcc, ssl...) following the xorp build_note.

You could try doing a "find /usr/local -type f -name xorp_bgp" command
to try to establish if the packaging system(s) installed XORP in an
unexpected location.

Unless you have something unusual in your shell environment, the "make
install" target of the XORP top level GNU makefile should "just work".

Please send us the output of the "env" command from the shell you're
attempting to install XORP from.

> I didn't do the make check this last time because for the others times
> I didn't look for the bin directory and now I still have this problem
> and don't know its origin. today I installed the FreeBSD to try xorp
> on but I think I must know where the problem is !!!

Not doing the "make check" for a production install of a released
version is fine.

Thanks
BMS