[Xorp-users] getting problem in IGMPv3 XORP behavior

Tushar Mehta tushar.mehta at einfochips.com
Tue Jul 22 04:29:08 PDT 2008

here my setup design is attached.

My IGMPv3 router is running and is attached with host via switch.
IGMPv3 is running on XORP.
just for checking i am sending a IGMP General Query(without router alert
option) from Host machine to XORP router.
in this case it should not reply by sending IGMPv3 report but it is
replying in my case.

now re you getting my setup or problem?

Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> Tushar Mehta wrote:
>> I am currently facing problem in the XORP regarding IGMPv3 protocol.
>> I want to check whether XORP router is sending the IGMPv3 report when
>> you send IGMP General Query without router alert option.
>> It should not send IGMPv3 report when it get the General Query with
>> router alert option in the IP header as per the rfc-3376
>> In my it is sending the IGMPv3 report. this is the problem i am
>> getting now.
>
> I'm confused by the above. Are you running XORP as a multicast router?
> Sending a General Query to a IGMPv3 querier or router shouldn't matter.
>
> Or are you having problems with XORP as a multicast end-station?
>

>> also when i am sending IGMPv3 report without router alert option XORP
>> is accepting it and making appropriate entry in multicast routing table.
>> It should not do that as per rfc-3376
>
> Which OS are you using? That would be a big help -- the processing of
> IGMPv3 reports is dependent upon raw sockets and that's an OS specific
> thing.
>
> thanks
> BMS
>

> Email Scanned for Virus & Dangerous Content by : www.CleanMailGateway.com

Disclaimer: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it
are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally
privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of
this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
replying to this message and please delete it from your computer. Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender
unless otherwise stated.Company has taken enough precautions to prevent
the spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any