[Xorp-users] getting problem in IGMPv3 XORP behavior

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jul 22 11:56:52 PDT 2008

Tushar Mehta <tushar.mehta at einfochips.com> wrote:

> I am currently facing problem in the XORP regarding IGMPv3 protocol.
> I want to check whether XORP router is sending the IGMPv3 report when you send
> IGMP General Query without router alert option.
> It should not send IGMPv3 report when it get the General Query with router
> alert option in the IP header as per the rfc-3376
> In my it is sending the IGMPv3 report. this is the problem i am getting now.

XORP implements only the router-side of IGMP/MLD.
The IGMPv3 reports generated by the router running XORP are actually
generated by the kernel. Hence, this issue is related to the
particular OS/kernel you are running.

> also when i am sending IGMPv3 report without router alert option XORP is
> accepting it and making appropriate entry in multicast routing table.
> It should not do that as per rfc-3376

In XORP there is an IGMP/MLD configuration flag regarding this:

protocols {
    igmp {
        interface eth0 {
            vif eth0 {
                enable-ip-router-alert-option-check: true
            }
        }
    }
}

The default value for the flag is false. If you set it to true, the
XORP router-side implementation will drop all IGMP/MLD messages that
don't have the Router Alert option set.
FYI, the reasoning for the default value being "false" is to be able to
work out-of-the-box with earlier IGMP implementations that don't use
Router Alert.

It looks like you have set the value to true in your config so it
should work and you should just see warning messages like:
"RX ...: missing IP Router Alert option"

What XORP version are you using?
Please try the latest code from CVS (or the XORP-1.5-RC) and see
whether you still have the problem.

Pavlin