[Xorp-users] How to decide Unsolicited Report Interval in IGMPv3 XORP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jul 24 09:37:30 PDT 2008

Tushar Mehta <tushar.mehta at einfochips.com> wrote:

> I want to configure my OS(on which XORP is running) for IGMPv3 host also and
> want to set parameter Unsolicited Report Interval.
> which file i have to modify for configuring my OS as IGMPv3 host.

As I mentioned in my earlier email, those settings are OS specific,
so the Linux folks are a better source of information.

Anyway, after a quick check, I guess you can use the following
command (as a root) to explicitly set the IGMP version to 3:

sysctl -w net.ipv4.conf.all.force_igmp_version=3

Regarding the setting the Unsolicited Report Interval in the kernel,
I guess you cannot change it without recomping the kernel. A quick
search in file linux/net/ipv4/igmp.c (Linux kernel 2.6.15.1) reveals
that it is defined there and is not configuratble:

#define IGMP_Unsolicited_Report_Interval        (10*HZ)

Hence, if you want to change it, you must modify the above value and
recompile the kernel.

Hope that helps,
Pavlin