[Xorp-users] IGMP host version problem

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jul 24 09:58:37 PDT 2008

Tushar Mehta <tushar.mehta at einfochips.com> wrote:

> in my setup, when XORP(IGMPv3 for IPv4 router sends IGMP version 1 or 2 query
> then IGMPv3 host is changed to version 1 or 2 respectively
> but when XORP turns back to IGMPv3 querier, host is not coming back to version
> 3 and still sending report with version or 2
>
> what is the reason?

According to RFC 3376, the host should switch back to the higher
IGMP version after the "Older Version Querier Interval". That
interval is defined in Section 8.12 to:
 ((the Robustness Variable) times (the Query
   Interval in the last Query received)) plus (one Query Response
   Interval)

and the default value is 2 * 125 + 10 = 260 seconds.

If the host doesn't switch back after 260 seconds (or whatever the
value is for your config), then it is probably a bug in the kernel's
IGMP implementation.

Pavlin