[Xorp-users] Using XORP for PIM-SM

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 03:31:25 PDT 2008

Hi,

1) If I have two virtual networks running through a single box. I know
I can have two unicast routing tables. How do I get XORP to handle two
multicast routing tables and be able to isolate the traffic between
them. Essentially, I want to have two isolated IP networks running
through a single box and have XORP maintain the isolation for the
multicast traffic running over those two networks.

2) I am trying to use tunX interfaces with XORP.
If I place an any source multicast (ASM) source at the remote end of
the tunX interface. Will XORP be able to treat it as a directly
connected interface and correctly forward it in register messages to
the RP?

3) How many tunX interfaces can XORP handle?

4) How up to date is the current documentation?

5) If my tunX interfaces dynamically appear and disappear, is xorpsh
still the only way to inform XORP that there is a new interface that
the PIM-SM should talk to. Is it possible to inform XORP about this
change without impacting multicast traffic going through the current
XORP instance?

6) I have an application that might mean that I would want to modify
the olist from PIM-SM. For example, If I receive a PIM-Join on
interface tun1, I would actually want the multicast for that
particular group to leave via tun10 instead. So, I would be adding a
dynamic config item to the tun1 interface, saying, if I receive a
PIM-Join(S,G1), instead of actually forwarding multicast traffic out
of tun1, divert (S,G1) traffic to tun10 by adding tun10 to the olist
instead of tun1 for that particular group. Where in XORP is the olist
calculations done?

Kind Regards

James