[Xorp-users] Using XORP for PIM-SM

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Jun 5 13:23:19 PDT 2008

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> 2008/6/5 Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>:
>>> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>>> 3) How many tunX interfaces can XORP handle?
>>>
>> Multicast will have a limit of 32 interfaces per table in my implementation.
>>  It would require
>> even more API change and kernel hacking to remove this limitation..and I
>> don't need more,
>> so I don't plan to do this.
>>

> Ben,
>
> Thank you for the quick response. :-)
> I am interested to understand why the 32 interfaces limit is there.
> Which kernel API calls are limited to 32 interfaces?
> I might want to add support for more than 32 interfaces. I am thinking
> of maybe 1000 interfaces.
> The total packet bandwidth over all the 1000 interfaces is likely to
> be low, about 4MBytes/s.

The linux kernel uses a 32-bit number as a bitfield, and at least some of that
is visible in the user-space to kernel API as well.

According to comments, seems to be derived from ancient BSD logic,
or something like that.

I don't plan on making these changes for my own needs, but
I know people who do this sort of thing for hire if you are interested
in paying for the feature...