[Xorp-users] confirm 2be68895459e46dec1a34879ba5f1ac5c4883465

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Jun 17 00:06:32 PDT 2008

Sir Mikey1 wrote:
>   Does xorp utilize one host computer to share Modem Nic with Office
> Nics and IP subnet range, like Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard????
>
>    I had hoped to be able to put xorp router software on all machines,
> with modem plugged into the uplink slot on the hub, where all
> computers would see the sitation and resolve.  Wishful drinking, or is
> this even possible?

Currently XORP does not implement its own NAT or proxy suite, which are
necessary components to implement what you're describing (a SoHo
internet gateway on the end of a NATted ADSL line). Driver support for
the modem will also be required.

If you or someone else is interested in porting this to the XORP
platform, we'd be very interested to hear from you.

The XORP LiveCD currently builds on top of the FreeBSD operating system,
so the forwarding plane in use is that of FreeBSD.

cheers
BMS